What is a "site template"?
Surely, everyone who is now reading this publication has at least vaguely heard that sites can be templated. But not everyone understands what exactly lies behind the phrase “template” and what is the difference. Today we will tell you everything :) A template is a ready-made website on a ready-made platform (CMS). All you need to do with it is “plug it in” and it will work. Most often, templates are found on platforms such as Worpress (business card sites) or OpenCart (online stores). There are a huge number of such platforms, but we do not want to “load” you with unnecessary information. The above platforms are the most common in the CIS.
PLUSES AND MINUSES OF A SITE TEMPLATE:
First, let's talk about the advantages of a template site:
- No need to think about the design: you are given a ready-made one, in which you can make minimal adjustments.
- The site on the template will be ready in 1-2 days. It remains only to upload texts and photos.
- The cost of the template and its installation is up to $500. Although, of course, it all depends on the template.
On this, perhaps, the pluses end, let's move on to the minuses:
- If in the future you want to change “this” or “that” or “both together” - it will cost you dearly. Templates have very low customization. The template is not subject to your brand book and your “want”.
- The template is not tailored to the specifics of your business processes, so you will have to “pull” it to your needs or adjust the business processes associated with the site to the structure and functionality of the template.
WHAT IS THE SITE TEMPLATE SUITABLE FOR?
- Test a niche - especially for online sales. Why throw away money in vain if you can find a template that looks like a competitor’s website and check everything.
- For cases when the development budget is small, but a website is needed.
WHEN IS THE TEMPLATE STRONGLY NOT SUITABLE?
- If you need a reliable, high-quality product for the long term.
- In case, in the future, you plan to add new features and functionality to your website.
- If you want an individual design and don't want someone else to have the same site.
- If you want the site to adapt as much as possible to your business processes, and not vice versa.
- If you are planning to invest in internet marketing (in our experience, custom designed websites give a much better result).
As always, everything depends on your needs :)